Please be assured that the process of the review of all Program claims continues to move forward. As a result of the COVID-19 crisis, the Fund Administrators have taken the necessary steps to safeguard all members of the review and intake teams by relocating these teams to their homes to allow for remote access to the programs and the continuation of the process for the resolution of these claims.
INDEPENDENT VICTIM COMPENSATION PROGRAM ("IVCP")
The Archdiocese of Newark and
Dioceses of Camden, Metuchen, Trenton and Paterson
For Compensation of Certain Individual Claims of Clergy Sexual Abuse of Minors by Clergy
The Registration Deadline for New Allegations of Sexual Abuse as a Minor against Clergy of the New Jersey Dioceses has been extended to January 31, 2020. The deadline for submission of all Claim Forms is extended to February 29, 2020.
On February 11, 2019 the Archdiocese of Newark, and the Dioceses of Camden, Metuchen, Trenton and Paterson (collectively the "NJ Dioceses") announced the formation of the Independent Victim Compensation Program (the "Program" or the "IVCP") to provide compensation to victims of clergy sexual abuse of minors by clergy of the NJ Dioceses. The NJ Dioceses have retained Kenneth R. Feinberg and Camille Biros, to serve as Administrators of the IVCP and to begin work to implement the Program. Read Press Release
The key features of the Program are as follows:
- The Program is purely voluntary; no individual is required to participate in the Program. Only if the individual is satisfied with the compensation provided does the individual agree to waive rights to litigate against the NJ Dioceses.
- Individuals who previously submitted a complaint of sexual abuse to the NJ Dioceses will have an opportunity to seek compensation from this Program.
- Individuals who have not previously filed a complaint with the NJ Dioceses may register to participate in the Program through this website on or before October 2019. To register, potentially eligible Claimants need to provide their name, contact information, and a summary description of the nature of the claim, including the dates and location of the abuse and name of the perpetrator. New complaints of abuse received through this Program must be reported to the local office of the District Attorney by both the Registrant and the NJ Dioceses for review.
- Mr. Feinberg and Ms. Biros retain complete and sole discretion over eligibility and all compensation offers to eligible victims who participate in the Program. By agreement, the NJ Dioceses cannot reject the Administrators’ final determinations as to eligibility and amount of compensation.
- Individuals who previously settled their sexual abuse claims with the NJ Dioceses will not be permitted to participate in the Program.
- Individuals who allege sexual abuse as a minor by a member of a religious order or lay teachers and employees of the NJ Dioceses are not eligible to participate in the Program.
- Eligible claims will be paid within approximately two weeks from the time that a submitted claim is deemed eligible, fully reviewed and compensation is determined and a signed Release is received by the Administrators.
- The effective date of the Program is June 15, 2019 (On-line registration of new claims will be available beginning June 15, 2019).
- The deadline to register a new allegation is January 31, 2020.
- The deadline for submission of a claim is February 15, 2020.